Monday, September 7, 2015

Updates

It's taken some time to find my "comeback". The last few weeks have felt pretty discouraging, which has been clear as I re-read previous posts. After running my 30 min run and completing the Couch to 5K program, I realized I would have to run about 45 minutes to actually complete the full distance of the 5K, and I felt as though I wasn't going to be able to do it. In my mind, I was a failure if I couldn't run the full 5K. I still can't bring myself to run past 15 mins. without a short walk segment, but I am trying not to let this get me down. The treadmill had developed into a symbol of failure for me, and it's been really hard to break free from that. This is all mental garbage.

This past Friday I pushed myself hard. I made myself complete the whole 5K distance, even if it required some walking segments. This is what it looked like:

5 min. warm-up walk
6 mins. run
1.5 min. walk
4 min. run
1.5 min walk
10 min run
3 min. walk
10 min. run
3 min. walk
10 min. run

The last 10 minute run was redemption for me. One of my favorite songs came on and I was tearing up during the run with huge smiles as well. The last portion I sprinted and completed the 5K distance in 48 minutes. I have wanted to be able to complete in under 45 mins, so I am very close to being able to do this. 10 days until Espirit de She....I have to do this.

1 comment:

  1. This routine looks soooo much better to me than all that mental garbage of the previous post!! Workouts should not be torturous! Yes, it's okay to push yourself but not so much that it's miserable bc then you just feel defeated and discouraged and it's WAY too easy to quit! I'm a HUGE believer in interval running! Walk, frequently, and don't feel bad about it one bit. This is where I love the treadmill because it's so calculatable (not a word, whatever)... When I first started teaching myself how to run, it went something like this: Jog 0.1 miles, Walk 0.4 miles and repeat for however long. As you get stronger and more in shape then it becomes Jog 0.2 miles, Walk 0.3 miles. Then 0.25 jog/0.25 walk. Then 0.3mi jog, 0.2mi walk (look! now you're jogging MORE than you're walking!). Then 0.4 mi jog, 0.1 mi walk. I got to that point and then started increasing my speeds. And now a couple years later I go .45 mi run/ .05 mi slow jog and I can run without stopping. On the treadmill anyway. When I'm outside and there are hills I walk short spurts when i need to. You are doing awesome, Mindy. Just being there at the treadmill AT ALL is a success!! Keep at it! You are getting stronger and healthier every time!!

    ReplyDelete